Sunday, September 5, 2010

Super Sunday

This weekend my family and I came up to Utah to attend the graveside service for my nephew, Baby Ethan Samuel. Although this is a difficult time for my brother Ryan and sister-in-law Melissa, they are staying so strong. They have 2 of the strongest testimonies I know and are such a great couple to look up to. Seeing them together makes me have high expectations for myself and for my life when I get married. Through this trial, they have remained so close to Heavenly Father and have a great knowledge of the truthfulness of the Gospel. What a great example they are to me!



Today we went and visited my Great Grandpa Leslie Samuel Holt's grave. My Grandpa Holt was born in 1911 and passed away a few weeks before my oldest brother was born in 1983. I got to look at some awesome pictures of him this weekend and I know that he was such a happy man. I believe he is doing so awesome missionary work in heaven. He has the warmest smile and I look forward to meeting him someday.

We also went and visited my nephew Ethan Samuel Rasmussen (buried quite close to my Great Grandpa). There was such an awesome spirit at his graveside today. I know that Heavenly Father has an awesome plan for him. He was much too perfect for this world and I know that he will remain an angel in the lives of my family here on earth, what a great blessing this is to us! He is a beautiful baby and my brother put it very sweetly when he said "Baby Ethan passed away 2 days before he was born".

I also got to go visit my Uncle Jeff. Jeffrey Scott Hoopes passed away on November 3, 1993 when I was 4 and a half years old. I remember how amazing Jeff was. He was such a happy-go-lucky person who could always make me laugh. He had a dog that he absolutely loved and just the greatest love for life. I know that he is helping out Heavenly Father and doing a tremendous job at it. I know that he looks out for his family every day.

And last but not least, we got to visit my Great Grandma Leona Irene Holt. She is one of the greatest people I know. We went to her center where she lives and introduced ourselves (she's pretty old, doesn't remember a ton, I've met her A TON of times haha). We took her to the front room and were talking with her about life and she reminded us it's her birthday next week. "How old are you gonna be next week grandma?" I asked. Her first response? Leave it to grandma to use colorful vocabulary "Dam*ed if I know!" haha. Grandma Phyllis reminded her that she will be 96 years old!!! (that's right, she was born in 1914!) The next statement out of my g. grandma's mouth "that's right, 96. People start dying around then..." And then she chuckled a little bit. She's right, they usually die before or around 96. Usually before. She went on to tell us she painted her whole house by herself and that moving the tree to the front room was a "bugger". She was very pleased with all the playroom there was for the kids because she wasn't pleased with the basement (in her old house a LONG time ago, they had a house with a terribly small basement. Probably in the 60's or 70's.) She was also pretty ticked that people were being aloud to "build their houses to close to ours!"...apparently she doesn't like her neighbors? She seems to forget she lives in an old folks home..but that's quite alright! We'll let her remember whatever she'd like, she hasn't got much longer to use her great imagination.

Needless to say, there was an awesome spirit at the gravesides and at my great grandmas. It was pretty cool to see the history that cemeteries have to offer, the one that my Uncle Jeff is buried at has headstones from the 1800's..one in particular that lived from 1856 to 1956, 17 days away from 100 years old, crazy! What a great blessing the knowledge of the gospel is. I know that I'll be able to see all of my relatives again someday and in the meantime they are watching over us.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com